Anyway, it's the second year I've celebrated my birthday away from my family and best friends since I'm already based here in Dubai. Aside from taking a five-day leave off work, it was a very quiet and laid-back occasion over all, but still felt special nonetheless. I was actually planning to be all ninja and go unnoticed this year but four of my colleagues and friends at work blew my cover and still remembered. Was so surprised to receive a call from them. They never fail to make me smile. I feel lucky having them as my extended family here in the desert.
The best part was waking up to a short but very sweet message on my phone from my mom (which made me cry a bit) and then being greeted by a handful of fresh flowers from my man. I couldn't imagine a better way to start 12-12-12. He was even wearing the shirt I gave him during our first year as a couple. It's a spoof of Salvatore Ferragamo, which reads Sobratorpe Ferrogwapo (the direct translation in our language: super shy but handsome). My favorite shirt ever! Cracks me up every time because the description is so him. Haha!
He then accompanied me to the Philippine embassy to get some documents stamped for the property we're buying back home. Our dream is finally coming true and I couldn't be happier! Afterwards, we went to church and had lunch in my favorite Chinese restaurant. He even got me this New York New York canvas print that has LED lights. I've been eyeing this beauty in Home Centre for quite some time and now it looks magical hanging in my tiny apartment. So fun and relaxing to look at especially in the dark. I still can't believe he got it for me!
I also received three postcards (which I appreciate so so much!), a teddy bear, and online access card to my favorite tv programs from our loving Dubai friends. I was really surprised. So many loving people have gone out of their way to greet me and send in their love (online and offline) as well. I feel so loved and blessed with the kind of family and friends I have even though I'm a thousand miles away. It's a beautiful life. :)
Here's a few more highlights from my special day courtesy of Instagram:
- Finally gifted myself with my own extended office at home. It's my favorite little corner now where I go online, blog, read and organize my bills and stuff. Will share more of this creative (and not to mention messy) space in a separate post. :)
- As I already shared with you the other day, I also started a mini Santa Claus collection!
- Haven't eaten a cake for some time now (because I'm supposed to be dieting) so I was really excited to finally have my cake and eat it too. My boyfriend did a great job choosing ChoCo'a. It's my favorite chocolate cake in this part of the globe. Real yum!
- Had to give in so I purchased one raffle ticket just to see if triple 12 is really a lucky day for me. Let's see if I'd win that car...
- My boyfriend and I crashed a stranger's wedding! The bride's dress looked stunning!
- After visiting Dubai Mall, we finally capped off my special day in Ikea where I got some scented candles and a small cabinet for the apartment.